Could weight loss be as simple as breathing?
The Japanese Long Breath Exercise
Japanese health and beauty experts believe it’s possible to lose weight with the Japanese Long Breath Method developed by Japanese weight loss guru Ryosuke Miki. By doing these exercises for 2 minutes, two to three times a day, many are claiming to lose pounds and tone their bodies. How does this method work?
- Creates a natural girdle
Long breath trains the transverse abdominal muscle, resulting in a flat lower abdomen.
- Stimulates core muscles to reduce visceral fat
Long breath uses the whole body, stimulating inner muscles which stabilize bones and increase muscle temperature. The increase in inner body temperature helps reduce visceral fat.
- Stimulates inner organs to increase metabolism
Correct inhaling and inhaling with diaphragm breathing stimulates internal organs, improves blood circulation, and increases metabolism.
“Long breath method is for training inner muscles such as the transverse abdominal muscle. Those core muscles act like girdle to stabilize your back. So it is [also] highly recommended for back pain patients. I recommend many of my patients except people with displacement of disc,” says Dr. Umeda of Yokohama Toho Hospital.
- First, stand and slightly cross your legs.
- Tighten your anus.
- Set 90% of your body weight on your back foot. Lean slightly backward, keeping a straight back.
- Inhale for 3 seconds, then exhale very hard and very slowly for 7 seconds.
- Use all your body muscles when you exhale. That’s the key to training your inner muscles.
Japanese beauty expert and co-founder of Mirai Clinical Koko Hayashi demonstrates here:
Ms. Hayashi adds, “The most important takeaway is to learn to breathe correctly. Babies are born breathing deeply, but breathing gets shallower as we age. If we train and anti-age our breathing, wouldn’t we keep our youth?”